On Sep 18, 2008, at 6:23 PM, Rick Mann wrote:

I thought isEqualTo was a method on NSObject, but I realize now it's part of the NSComparisonMethods Protocol.

The whole thing strikes me as a bit messy.

Also note which header that category lives in - NSScriptWhoseTests.h. That provides valuable information - this has something to do with Cocoa Scripting and may not be for general use.

Even with Cocoa's remarkably consistent and good naming conventions, it is not generally possible to encode everything you might need to know about a method in its name. Fortunately, we also have API and conceptual doc.

Anyone who was around during the "description forthcoming" days of Mac OS X developer documentation can attest that the situation today is much, much better than in days past.

Failure to make effective use of the documentation is only going to put you at a disadvantage.

Jim