On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Jerry Krinock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael Ash wrote:
>
>> For the original problem, I'd recommend using something like
>> LSCopyApplicationURLsForURL() if it's at all possible.
>
> Good idea but I'm looking for a helper app which is not registered to open
> any URLs.  Also, I don't see any indication that
> LSCopyApplicationURLsForURL() would return multiple installations of the
> same app.

Note that if you give it a file URL, it will look up the application
based on extension, UTI, HFS file type, etc. and not just the URL
scheme. So your helper doesn't need to be registered to open URLs,
just documents. Of course if it isn't registered to open documents
then this doesn't work so great.

As for multiple installations, I don't see any evidence that it
*wouldn't* return multiple installations, and it's a fair assumption
that it would based on the probability that the Finder uses this API
for things like the Open With... menu. It's a moot point if the helper
can't open documents, but if it does then it would bear testing.

>> If you must search the disk, use Spotlight if you can. ... The downside is
>> that it won't work if indexing is disabled or if the desired application is
>> in an
>> excluded directory.
>
> Also, it seems to not find helper applications which are inside other
> applications' packages.

Craptacular! Anyway, I'm glad you found an acceptable solution in the end.

Mike