Michael Ash wrote:

For the original problem, I'd recommend using something like
LSCopyApplicationURLsForURL() if it's at all possible.

Good idea but I'm looking for a helper app which is not registered to open any URLs. Also, I don't see any indication that LSCopyApplicationURLsForURL() would return multiple installations of the same app.

If you must search the disk, use Spotlight if you can. ... The downside is that it won't work if indexing is disabled or if the desired application is in an
excluded directory.

Also, it seems to not find helper applications which are inside other applications' packages.