On Oct 2, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Michael Ash wrote:

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:13 PM, James Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Is it possible to use a scroller without a scroll view? The first problem is that IB won't let me create an NSScroller that is not embedded in an NSScrollView. I guess I could shrink down the NSScrollView so that you only see the one scroll bar. Then the next problem would be how to set the current value. I see the method setFloatValue:knobProportion:, which I guess would set the current value. But this method is marked deprecated in 10.5, with no explanation of why it's deprecated or what one should do
instead.

I suppose someone is sure to ask why I can't use NSScrollView. I'm doing a kind of scrolling that isn't just shifting a view around. Some members are
arranged in two rows, like so...

1  2  3
4  5  6

and when you scroll right, they change like this...

2  3  4
5  6  7

and so on.

Pardon my intrusiveness, but this sounds like a terrible UI. It's
highly nonstandard and nobody will expect it to behave this way. Why
can't you do things the normal way such that you start off with:

A  B  C
Z  Y  X

And when you scroll to the right you get:

B  C  D
Y  X  W

This has the dual advantage of allowing you to use NSScrollView and
not confusing your users.

Mike

Mike,

I will have to strongly disagree with you that James' problem is a "terrible UI".

NSScrollViews are best used when you have a rectangular viewport into a rectangular view of relatively-densely-packed objects that have a static relationship with one another.

However, I would wager that "static" relationships amongst items being modeled for a display is not the norm. Coverflow is a good example of this. When you move the scrollbar in the iTunes Coverflow view, the relationship of the objects being displayed changes... just like in James' example. IMHO, Coverflow is just a clever visual modeling of an all-too-typical real world object.

I don't know what James has in mind for his UI, but I'll leave it up to him to make a value judgement about whether his UI is appropriate for his user. I'm sure we've all given him food for thought.

regards,

douglas