On 02-Oct-08, at 10:09 PM, James W. Walker wrote:

On Oct 1, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Clark Cox wrote:

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:13 PM, James Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Is it possible to use a scroller without a scroll view? The first problem is that IB won't let me create an NSScroller that is not embedded in an
NSScrollView.

Just instantiate a generic NSView, and set its class to NSScroller.

I guess I could shrink down the NSScrollView so that you only
see the one scroll bar. Then the next problem would be how to set the current value. I see the method setFloatValue:knobProportion:, which I guess would set the current value. But this method is marked deprecated in 10.5, with no explanation of why it's deprecated or what one should do
instead.

It's probably deprecated because it conflates two attributes of the
scroller that are only peripherally related (i.e. the size of the
scroll thumb, and its location). Use -setKnobProportion: and
-setDouleValue: instead.

@interface NSScroller(NSDeprecated)
/* A method that was deprecated in Mac OS 10.5. To maintain binary compatibility, AppKit will continue to invoke overrides of this method. Code that targets Mac OS 10.5 and later should use - setDoubleValue: and -setKnobProportion: instead, and eliminate any overrides of -setFloatValue:knobProportion:. Code that needs to remain compatible with Mac OS 10.4 and earlier should continue to use - setFloatValue:knobProportion:.
*/
- (void)setFloatValue:(float)aFloat knobProportion:(CGFloat)proportion;
@end

Thanks. I guess I had looked at the 10.4 SDK version of NSScroller.h, which doesn't have - setKnobProportion:._______________________________________________

http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/cocoa-dev/chaitanya%40expersis.com