From: Ron Lue-Sang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:06 AM
To: Lee, Frederick
Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Subject: Re: In dealloc(): ref @property, Can I use "<property object> =
nil; " vs "[<property object> release]; " ?

On Oct 8, 2008, at 8:49 AM, Lee, Frederick wrote:

Assuming the following:

@property(retain) myVar;

@synthesize myVar;

-(void) dealloc {

  // Can I use:

 self.myVar = nil;

// versus:

[myVar release];   //  ?

}

I've seen examples of using [myVar release].   But doesn't setting myVar
= nil does the same thing?

Which is the preferred way?

I prefer doing [myVar release]. Mainly because I don't want setMyVar
getting called during dealloc. And by this time there *shouldn't* be any
KVO observers for myVar (assuming the property was observed at all
before).

Yea yea - you've done @synthesize here so we know that the setter
doesn't do any custom work. But since we're in dealloc, we are -
obviously - not running under GC. Under refcounting, if you didn't
declare your property nonatomic, you're gonna take a lock during dealloc
to do setMyVar:nil.

RONZILLA