On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Lee, Frederick wrote:

So all my iVars are accessed via:
@property(nonatomic, retain) iVar; // array, dictionary, etc. <--
collections & objects.
Also, I'm not subclassing these properties.
I've seen examples of releasing the iVars & setting their pointers to
nil.
So I figure, using the self.iVar = nil;

No, that is not Apple-sanctioned best-practice.

So you say:
1) use the [iVar release] directly; yet
2) use the "self.iVar = nil" approach for 'synthesized instance
variables.'

Yes, for synthesized *instance variables*.

So if I understand correctly, what you're saying is that in my
particular circumstance (nonatomic),

'nonatomic' has nothing to do with it.

(and I'm synthesizing collections, strings & objects)
the preferred way is setting the 'self.iVar' to nil; per your example
below.
Correct?

No. I stated specifically "synthesized *instance variables*" and gave an example:

    @interface MyClass : NSObject
    {} // **** Note: no instance variables
    @property (retain) NSString *aString;
    @end

    @implementation MyClass
    @synthesize aString;
    -(void)dealloc {
          self.aString = nil;  // [aString release]; won't work
    }
    @end

If instead you had an explicit instance variable:

    @interface MyClass : NSObject {
         NSString *aString;
    }
    @property (retain) NSString *aString;