Ken;

Once again, thanks for the exemplary response!
(You are a great resource for the Cocoa community!)

So... while yes, the 10.5 SDK does have bug fixes, using it and deploying to 10.4 potentially bifurcates the product into different behaviors. (It is really tough to determine where and when these differences might show up but the possibility exists -.> maddening from a support perspective)

Since my goal was to deploy to 10.4 all along, by using the 10.4 SDK, the app will behave the same on both 10.4 and 10.5 (and 10.6) --> simpler from a support perspective. In some cases the behavior might be consistently wrong perhaps but any such incorrectness can be cured on both OSes by the same workaround -- > simpler development and testing

Simpler development, simpler code, simpler testing, simpler support - yeah!

Thanks for helping me better understand and for keeping my life simple!
Steve