On Oct 19, 2008, at 9:32 AM, John Joyce wrote:

It doesn't and it cannot. PDF is only a container, that happens to support vector art well, but cannot vectorize a raster image. If you properly placed some vector art into a pdf you might be able to garner some sort of resolution independence, but it's probably not worth the effort, and definitely won't look as good in most cases as well designed/optimized icons.

I will disagree here. It was so worth the effort to move all my bitmapped images to vector-based artwork. I got beautiful scaling from 0.5 to 3.0x to include non-integral scaling factors.

In terms of the statement "cannot vectorize a raster image"... Adobe Illustrator can do such a task.

Until displays approach something like 300dpi or higher, like print media, our eyes will be better served by icons hand-tooled for particular sizes.

It all depends upon the artwork. I think you'll find that most artwork will scale very well if vectorized.