> So does anyone know whether this is a problem that's specific for
> dealing with QuickTime movies from a cocoa app? Or is there a more
> elegant way of rotating movies?

I don't know anything about the old QuickTime APIs. But I would
suggest the new way to do this is use Core Animation. You might be
able to use NSView's  setFrameCenterRotation (you may not need to
enable layer backing to use this). Or you could use a QTMovieLayer
instead of a QTMovieView which would get you a lot more direct control
over the transform matrix and anchorPoint.

-Eric