I don't know anything about the old QuickTime APIs. But I would
suggest the new way to do this is use Core Animation.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I wasn't too keen on using layers for this, and fortunately, it turned out that I can still rotate single QuickTime tracks successfully. And I guess that's precisely what the QuickTime Player does, too. Looking back, I wonder why I didn't try doing it that way in the first place.

So, to recap, just in case anyone else ever gets stuck on a similar issue:

1. With current QuickTime versions (such as QuickTime 7.5.5, which I'm currently testing against), you can't rotate an entire movie's matrix successfully anymore. This used to work with earlier QuickTime versions.

2. However, you can still rotate its tracks by getting their matrices via GetTrackMatrix(), rotating those, and setting them via SetTrackMatrix().

Cheers,

Peter.