On Oct 28, 2008, at 16:53 , Sean McBride wrote:

On 10/28/08 4:03 PM, Jason Coco said:

Also, you should not be using non-ascii characters in string
literals :) hopefully you're just doing this to demonstrate the issue.
You should
be doing something like this:

char *hiragana_a = { 0xE3, 0x81, 0x82, 0x00 };
NSLog(@"%@", [NSString stringWithCString:a
encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding]);

That is no longer necessary in 10.5 / Xcode 3.  You can use Unicode in
string literals in Objective-C.

Why do you say this? I thought that I may have missed something, but looking back through all the documentation, all the warnings about only including 7-bit ASCII characters in string literals still exist... even in the most recent updated documentation. The Objective-C 2.0 language guide says it explicitly. The String Programming Guide for Cocoa states it explicitly. The CFString reference guide even states it explicitly when using the CFSTR(...) macro. GCC has always maintained that while it may work sometimes for standard C string literals in properly encoded source files, the
results of anything other than 7-bit string literals is still undefined.

Given that all of these documents have very recent updates... what makes you say that one can use Unicode in string literals in Objective-C? I still assert that there's really no reason to, and until the functionality is generally available and in wide use, it's much safer to never assume that a string literal can be anything but 7-bit and to use resource files like string files to hold data that will be displayed
to the user.