On Oct 29, 2008, at 00:29 , Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

On Oct 28, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Jason Coco wrote:

On Oct 28, 2008, at 16:53 , Sean McBride wrote:

On 10/28/08 4:03 PM, Jason Coco said:

Also, you should not be using non-ascii characters in string
literals :) hopefully you're just doing this to demonstrate the issue.
You should
be doing something like this:

char *hiragana_a = { 0xE3, 0x81, 0x82, 0x00 };
NSLog(@"%@", [NSString stringWithCString:a
encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding]);

That is no longer necessary in 10.5 / Xcode 3. You can use Unicode in
string literals in Objective-C.

Why do you say this? I thought that I may have missed something, but looking back through all the documentation, all the warnings about only including 7-bit ASCII characters in string literals still exist... even in the most recent updated documentation.

ISTR seeing this in the release notes somewhere, but can't find it now either. Anyway, see

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Cocoa-dev/2008/Apr/msg01885.html

Well, I still can't find anything that says this other than somebody's statement on a mailing list... the three most recently updated documents that apple put out dealing with strings all specifically say that string literals (CFStringRef, NSConstantString and c style string constants) all must be 7-bit ascii encoded or they may not work at all times, even if they appear to work for you. Since GCC itself is still struggling with this, I'm just gonna go with those documents until I see them change or see something more prominent come out from Apple. By the way, I also dug through the source for the gcc 4.0.1 compiler that's used by default with Xcode 3.0 and there was nothing about this change in the apple change logs or any of the other change logs or files that I could find. I didn't bother looking through the 4.2 stuff
since most people are probably not even using it yet :)