Dear Cocoa-dev People,

I wanted to thank everyone for their helpful replies to my question: How to
save metadata for a PDF file?

Graham, thank you for confirming and clarifying "the Cocoa way."  Your caveat
(problem with other pdf readers) was also well taken!

Ricky, thank you for your trenchant analysis and commentary.  The reification
of your suggested approach, by mentioning the TextEdit example, was "way"
helpful!

Michael, you've identified additional (and compelling) approaches that I'd have
never quantified on my own!  They bear looking into; part of my continuing
Cocoa education :-)

Dave, you know a lot about the PDF format!  Thanks for quantifing a "PDF
compatible" way to append metadata to a PDF!

Jeff, you also know a lot about the PDF format!  Thanks for clarifying another
"PDF compatible" way to append metadata to a PDF!

Marcel, thanks for your reply!

My conclusion is that "The Cocoa Way" would be to use NSFileWrappers.  (Not to
deprecate the suggested PDF approaches – there's nothing wrong with them.)
I've looked at using NSFileWrappers, but still have some questions.  My plan is
to take them to NSCoder Night (in Campbell) and flesh out the recipe, part of
my ongoing Cocoa education :-)

As an aside, I want to strongly recommend Eric Buck's Cocoa Design Patterns
which led me toward the NSFileWrapper approach in the first place!  (It's
available through Safari Books Online "Rough Cuts.")

Many thanks,
Joel Norvell