On Nov 5, 2008, at 1:26 AM, Tomaž Kragelj wrote:

My application should be tiger compatible, so I can't use NSViewController. I created a custom view controller class with similar interface albeit much simpler. However I am not sure about the following (taken from NSViewController documentation): "...taking the same care to prevent reference cycles when controls are bound to the nib file's owner".

Since my view controlle's dealloc is never called although I release it and it is set as nib file's owner, I suspect this is the problem. Can someone point me in direction of what is meant with "preventing reference cycles" in this situation?

My impression is that the solution isn't simple. It involves some private classes for auto-unbinding.

You can actually use an NSWindowController (or a custom subclass, if you need additional interface) to load a nib, even if there's no window in the nib to be controlled.

Cheers,
Ken