I haven't though of this. I solved the issue though, through Cathy's proposal, by adding removeObservations method to my view controller base class and call it from my NSWindowController implementation. Now the dealloc is called as expected.

In one of my nibs I do use the file's owner as a delegate a table view, so I will remove it inside the removeObservations, just to be extra safe (I don't have a problem at this moment, but such issues may creep in at some later time when I might spend days banging my head, so it's good to know...)

At this moment I'm experiencing another problem related to NSArrayController and bindings, but this is not related to this thread, so I'm opening a new one. Thanks for all info!

Tom