On Nov 11, 2008, at 09:12, Dan Birns wrote:

I need an asynchronous alert panel. My impression is that apple doesn't consider this an alert if it's aynchronous.

A couple ideas occur to me for how to solve this:

1) Put the alert in a separate thread. But these seems to be a lot of effort to get around a purposeful design, and thus far I have no threads in my application, and would prefer to keep it that way.

2) Use an NSPanel, but how do I duplicate the look and feel of an NSAlert?

Well, you could display a small, ordinary window and then display an asynchronous alert sheet on that window.

But are non-modal alerts what you want, though? Alert windows are application-modal (that is, they block the entire application). Alert sheets are "document"-modal (that is, they block the window they're displayed on, which is often a document window). The key word here is "block".

If your application puts up an "alert" and then just goes about its merry way, then you don't really have an alert, you have an informative message, and re-purposing an alert's "purposeful design" doesn't really send the appropriate user interface clues. Message windows of your own design, or a message panel in another window, or a single message window that can list multiple messages, might be a more useful choice.

Just an opinion ...