On Nov 17, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Roland King wrote:

I'm a bit limited at work, no Mac here, so I took a look with wordpad .. how nice.

You've defined the actual label pointers as IBOutlet, like this

  IBOutlet MyLabel* mLabel1;

and then called the properties label1 etc.

in your .h file. When you hook them up in IB (I can't open that here so I'm afraid I can't look) what is the name of the thing you bind to, label1 or mLabel1? I think you'll find it's mLabel1 right? I believe what you're doing is accessing the variables DIRECTLY in each binding because you have defined those at outlets, not the properties, and in that case yes they get retained as you know and as the documentation says.

Roland is correct. You've hooked up IB directly to the instance variables.