On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:49 AM, Brian Stern wrote:

On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Jonathan Hess wrote:

Normally instance variables and properties share the same name,

Normally in your code maybe, not mine.

so it doesn't matter to Interface Builder where the 'IBOutlet' text appears. If you're going to give your instance variables different names though, you need to put the IBOutlet qualifier on the property if you want it to be used.

I guess I just had a perfect storm of issues that made it appear that things were working differently from the way they were working. My properties, though present, were ignored. The fact that it works differently from Mac OS makes it worse.

Which difference are you referring to? It sounds like you're referring to the fact that if a setter doesn't exist the variable is retained by setValue:forKeyPath:. To avoid implementing setters, you're free to them out and let IB directly set you're iVars. If you do that, you'll just need to release them in dealloc. The best practices are there to help developers who are new to both platforms. If you feel that you have an adequate understanding of how the outlets are established, you're free to use a pattern that you prefer.

Jon Hess

Thanks for the help guys.

--
Brian Stern