Thanks Greg,

That does work and has no bad side effects. I can leave in the retain properties and release the outlets in the view controller's dealloc method.

Thanks,

Brian

On Nov 18, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Greg Titus wrote:

Brian,

The way to handle this is to _not_ respond to memory warnings in subclasses (at least not for the purposes of view outlet handling - there may be other non-view memory you want to free up in response to a memory warning). Instead, implement -setView: in your UIViewController subclass, and release outlets when the argument is nil. For example:

- (void)setView:(UIView *)aView;
{
        if (!aView) {
                self.anOutlet = nil;
                self.anotherOutlet = nil;
                self.thirdOutlet = nil;
        }
        [super setView:aView];
}

This will correctly clean up all of your outlets whenever the UIViewController unloads its view, and not otherwise.

Hope this helps,
        - Greg