On Nov 19, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Jeff Laing wrote:

My understanding (and I'm a noob in this) is that "best practices"
recommend that you shouldn't start sending additional messages to an
object from inside its dealloc.

That is indeed correct. The official guideline is, AFAIK, to not call through your properties in init / dealloc.

Anyone want to clarify if it is/isn't safe to do this?  Certainly most
of the samples I've seen go out of their way to release instance
variables rather than nil properties, in their dealloc's

What makes it unsafe is that you might not control the implementation of the property setter method - A subclass could for example override it and make it not safe for use from init / dealloc.

That said, this might be something that the LLVM static analyzer could validate for us to the point where it would be OK.

j o a r