Thanks for the link, you are right, I had not seen that document!

On Nov 19, 2008, at 9:33 am, 11(November)/19/08, Douglas Davidson wrote:

On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Rua Haszard Morris wrote:

To follow up.. below I have pasted the code that draws the text (for my test app, as opposed to the more complex ways of reproducing the bug elsewhere in my code). (the full test app is attached to the radar bug)

I have been consulting the Text System Overview documentation, which I don't believe mentions this fact.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/TextArchitecture/TextArchitecture.html

I can understand that drawing text top to bottom makes sense, but I am surprised that the coordinate system of the destination context has such far-reaching side effects.

You're looking at the Text Systems Overview, which is very general conceptual documentation, the sort you would consult to decide which class to use. What you want is the Text Layout Programming Guide for Cocoa, which gives more detailed direction as to how to use these classes. The first section, http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/TextLayout/Concepts/LayoutManager.html under the heading "Glyph Drawing" says, "The text system expects view coordinates to be flipped, like those of NSTextView." If you are going to be drawing using the layout manager directly, this is a hard-and-fast rule.

Douglas Davidson