> There's no difference between setting through a property, and setting
> through a plain old setter method. That said, it's up to you to decide
> if you want to go with the official recommendation or not. If you
> think that you have enough control over the implementation of your
> accessor methods, you might choose to still use them.

The question has been related to "best practices", which is why I'm
pursuing it.

As to 'control over the implementation of your accessors', if people use
@synthesize (thus taking whatever the compiler gives them) and/or have
bindings (or whatever it is) sneaking additional KVO/C stuff in over the
top of their accessors, how much information do they actually *have*
about their accessors to make an informed choice?