So thinking gets in the way of understanding and not thinking is the path to enlightenment?

Sent from my iPhone.

On Nov 20, 2008, at 8:45 PM, Jim Correia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Nov 20, 2008, at 11:36 PM, Kiel Gillard wrote:

On 21/11/2008, at 2:55 PM, Adam Leonard wrote:

I think this is a bug in the documentation. I am curious to know what others think.

While your discovery is interesting, maybe we're not supposed to know how NSString is implemented. Even if on your computer you do not get double free messages in your run log, a crash or whatever, I'm all for keeping the memory management rules simple and treating anything that doesn't contain "alloc] init...]" or "new]" as autoreleased.

The memory management rules are already simple. There are three rules.

Making up your own interpretations of them, such as "treating anything that doesn't contain 'alloc] init]' or 'new]' as autoreleased", is not only incorrect, but gets in the way of a fundamental understanding of how things work.

What happens to an object before it is handed to you is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter. Thinking about what the method might have done with the object is a waste of mental effort. The only thing which is important is whether or not you are responsible for releasing the object.

Jim