On Nov 22, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

[I originally sent this, erroneously, to darwin-development.  It's
failing in NSApplication.init(), so it belongs here.  -- wcj]

What's an "ASN"?  How does a system daemon ever get one?

I'm running a daemon, started by SystemStarter at boot time, and running
as me (an admin account), which periodically invokes OpenOffice's
"soffice" binary to convert MS Office docs to PDF.  Works most of the
time, even though daemons supposedly don't have access to the window
server, but sometimes OpenOffice crashes with this error message:

FAILED TO GET ASN FROM CORESERVICES so aborting.

Googling for "FAILED TO GET ASN" shows lots of different apps displaying that message whenever they're being run as daemons with no one logged in to the desktop - that is, when they don't have access to the window server.

So, you might want to re-think your doubts about the reliability of daemons and the window server. The fact that it sometimes works - presumably, when some is logged in to the desktop - can't be taken as evidence that they'll always do so.

sherm--