On 26/11/2008 08:28, "Andrew Farmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 25 Nov 08, at 16:44, Joe Turner wrote:
>> I have ben trying to find a good way to get an accurate count of
>> files on a Volume. Using a NSDirectoryEnumerator takes way too long
>> (a couples minutes), so, I figured out how to do it on the old
>> Carbon FileManager using [FSGetVolumeInfo...]
>>
>> Is there a better way of doing it? Maybe with Cocoa tools?
>
> If you want a non-Carbon way of doing this, take a look at statfs64().
> It's not technically Cocoa, but it's not Carbon and it works just fine.
>
> An equivalent to your code would simply be:
>
>    self.count = [NSNumber numberWithUnsignedLongLong:fsbuf.f_files];

In fact, f_files (when it works) reports the total number of nodes on the
filesystem, so you need to subtract f_ffree to find the number of nodes
which are occupied. Also, you need to test that neither of these numbers is
-1, as some filesystems don't support telling you that stuff.

Cheers,
Graham.
--
Graham Lee
Senior Macintosh Software Engineer, Sophos Plc.