Thanks :)

As long as I know it will not be deprecated anytime soon, I will use it :)

Cheers!
On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Jean-Daniel Dupas wrote:

Only the HIToolbox will be discontinued. All others API are already available in 64 bits app.

IMHO Apple is neither going to remove the CoreServices File Manager nor even mark it deprecated (before at least Mac OS 11 or 12).
There is no Cocoa API to efficiently access the File System.

And if you want do not want to use the File Manager, you will have to use the Darwin way, which is far more complex (and use under the hood by the File Manager). Have a look at getattrlist() and the ATTR_VOL_FILECOUNT attribute (the man page provide a sample that show how to retreive the file count).