Another way of doing this: Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X talks about this specific thing. It's either the second-to-last or the last chapter, and it's entitled "NSTask."It allows you to wrap around a shell command and get stdout and stderr. Obviously, if there's a framework, that's best, but this is useful as a general thing.

Daniel