What if you handle the label via bindings, but your long process via the target/action? Then you could use -[NSSlider sendActionOn:] (inherited from NSControl) with NSLeftMouseUpMask to only send the action on drag end. It seems like this would work for a slider, though I'm not sure if the bindings update would be affected by this setting.

HTH,
-- Kevin

Kevin Gessner
http://kevingessner.com