Context menus are not consulted when searching for key equivalents, unless they're actually open at the time, so you should not see the same problem.

Also, all user key equivalents (what users can set in SysPrefs) are deliberately suppressed in context menus. This is because it would be confusing if a context menu showed a key equivalent that didn't actually function when the menu is not open.

If you assign an ordinary key equivalent to the context menu, it will appear - but it's your app's responsibility to make it work if the menu is not open. Generally context menus don't have key equivalents.

-Peter