hmmm while playing with Instruments and Activity Monitor I realized two things...first, Activity Monitor (as I knew already) is not really a good indication for finding leaks...

Also, It seems like the memory usage is climbing only when I make usage of CIImage... if I only re-size/crop the picture, the memory usage stays under 20mb... if I modify brightness or contrast 4-5 times (the only operations using CIImage), then Im up in the 170mb of ram...

Does CoreImage really use that much memory? I'm pretty sure I can get it up above 500mb pretty quickly.. this can't be right...