Yes, I could set up a new thread, handling a list of usleep()
intervals between the actual timer events but it would be very hard to
make a reliable, drift-free timer service, handling lots of timer
events and it would take quite some time to develop a fully functional
and reliable version. I really hope I don't have to...

In the Kernel Programming Guide in ADC, chapter 7, Mach Overview, Time
Management, it says:

"The mach_timespec_t API is deprecated in Mac OS X. The newer and
preferred API is based on timer objects
that in turn use AbsoluteTime as the basic data type. AbsoluteTime is
a machine-dependent type, typically
based on the platform-native time base. Routines are provided to
convert AbsoluteTime values to and from
other data types, such as nanoseconds. Timer objects support
asynchronous, drift-free notification, cancellation,
and premature alarms. They are more efficient and permit higher
resolution than clocks."

Does anyone know about this "new API" or any higher level API build on
it? I sounds like a good candidate for my project.

/ Påhl