2008/12/4 Jean-Daniel Dupas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Le 4 déc. 08 à 15:17, Påhl Melin a écrit :
>
>> 2008/12/4 Jean-Daniel Dupas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>
>>> If you want to avoid Cocoa, Cocoa-dev is probably not the best mailing
>>> list
>>> to ask.
>>> You will have more chance on darwin-dev.
>>
>> I don't want to avoid Cocoa, but I just haven't found any Cocoa class
>> that supports timers without a run loop. But maybe I need to switch to
>> darwin-dev.
>>
>>> What do you mean by "low-leve" ? What prevent you to use NS classes ?
>>> Is this contraint preventing you to use CoreFoundation ?  (which is
>>> low-level IMHO).
>>
>> Nothing prevents me from using NS classes per se. I will use the
>> timers in a C++ class and want to get a callback to a normal
>> function—not calling a selector on an Objective-C class that most NS
>> classes would do. And since it's supposed to be the lowest level of my
>> architecture I want it to be as efficient as possible.
>>
>> The only problem I have is that I will run the timers on threads
>> without run loops so both NSTimer and CFRunLoopTimer (I didn't find
>> any reference information about CFTimer on ADC) are impossible to use.
>>

> Of course, CFTimer was a shortened form for CFRunLoopTimer.
>
> If you use timer, you need some primitive function that waits until one
> timer "trigger". I don't understand what is the difference between waiting
> using select, kevent,
> or any other primitive and waiting using CFRunLoopRun(). All threads have a
> runloop (or create one when needed), so I really don't understand what is
> the problem here.

The difference is that my threads will not have any run loops. They
will run all the time or sleep on a blocking primitive in my
framework. Only Cocoa threads automatically have a run loop (my
interpretation). I will run my threads using the pthread library
directly so no run loops are created.

> For kevent, I'm surprised the doc say so, it look like it is implemented (at
> least in 10.4.11 and 10.5 XNU sources).

That's interesting. I will check it out. The man page is from april
14, 2000, so maybe Apple just forgot to update it.