Hi,

The reason I'm doing it is because I have a Cocoa binding for Factor
(http://factocode.org), and the Factor VM doesn't support native
threads. The language has its own lightweight co-operative thread
model, with all I/O done non-blocking under the hood, to give the
illusion of concurrency; a lightweight thread yields to to other
lightweight theads when waiting for I/O.

This means I have to wait for Cocoa events and call select() from the
same event loop. To do this, I have a really horrible hack: as long as
no lightweight threads are ready to run, I poll for Cocoa events,
dispatch them, then wait up to 10ms for I/O by calling select() on all
active file descriptors, then the loop repeats.

I believe Squeak Smalltalk does something similar, but I'd really like
to find a better way, since the polling is inefficient.

While I do plan on making the VM native thread-safe eventually, for
now an ideal fix would be to either find a way to add a kqueue as a
run loop event source, or add the run loop to a kqueue.

Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Slava