On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Ken Thomases <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you can require Leopard, take a look at CFFileDescriptor.  Prior to
> Leopard, you can use CFSocket with any file descriptor, so long as you don't
> use the socket-specific parts of that interface.

I do indeed require Leopard for other reasons (my Cocoa bridge uses
the Objective C 2.0 runtime API) so that's not an issue. This should
be an easy fix, since my non-blocking I/O code has pluggable backends;
I can use the Core Foundation run loop on OS X and select() on other
Unices. Looks I can solve the Exposé problem I mentioned in my
original e-mail, as well as the pesky 1-3% CPU usage when idle, and
get rid of some hackish code, in one fell swoop.

Thanks!

Slava