have you looked at UIViewController at all? That's the generally recommended (in the documentation) way of controlling views and has all the methods required for telling you when orientations change, allowing you to say you do or do not want an orientation change and poking your view when it happens.

I've used this quite successfully in my applications generally for controlling views and for the few I have which are orientation-aware, it's fine.