On Dec 8, 2008, at 9:58 AM, I. Savant wrote:

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Bruce Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm not sure this is the right list but a search in the Archives returned no results for this question so that makes this question a simple one, or maybe
no one else has had an issue with it.

 The best place for detailed discussion ("officially", anyway) is the
iPhone Developer Center:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

 Registration, a US$100 fee, and a signed NDA are required. Apple's
way of limiting public release of information which they feel works.
:-)  There's also all the documentation that you should probably read
(since this is a pretty basic function that should be easily found
with a search of the documentation) ...

Not to mention the existing sample code from Apple.

Anyhow, there's other reasons for Apple moving towards an on-line discussion forum format. E-mail lists did not address many of the developer's needs.

 Unofficially, most iPhone-related discussions seem to be allowed on
this list but the official rules of this aren't yet entirely clear.

The boundaries sometimes do blur. For example, the recent thread about responding to low-memory situations. While clearly only an iPhone OS issue, it did raise many best practices that would work in general.

My personal take... Any FoundationKit or fundamental types of questions should be OK on this list. However, specific UIKit-related stuff should go elsewhere. This is nothing new. For example, developers often need to step down to direct quartz APIs and often the best forum for help is the dedicated quartz-dev list. I thus view UIKit as being a very specialized area and thus deserves a more dedicated forum.

For my personal iPhone OS needs, I've gotten all answers by (a) reading docs, (b) working through Apple's sample code, (c) attending the iPhone tech talk and (d) contacting DTS** when all else failed.

** You'll get two DTS incidents in the iPhone standard account (i.e. you don't have to use up the ones in your Select/Premier account should you have those as well).