On Dec 11, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Markus Spoettl wrote:

On Dec 11, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Corbin Dunn wrote:
Don't do that - Use the ObjectAlloc Instrument, it provides this information out of the box.

So it stops the debugger and shows you the call stack *at the exact time it's being called* and gives to an opportunity to walk back the call stack before continuing? How so? Please do tell me how to do that.

Sure does! (obviously, aside from stopping the debugger..)

Sure but the stopping-in-the-debugger-feature is what the essential part of the procedure I was describing is. Essential for me anyway.

I have tried both approaches; generally, I have found that -retain/- release/-autorelease get called so often that it is difficult to figure out what is wrong by simply placing a breakpoint on them. My main point is that Instruments can record the callstacks (I've discovered many people don't know this); and, provided you have source, double clicking on a callstack item will take you to the source. For this type of problem (an overlease), it is almost as close to as debugging, and much faster when trying to find the extra - release (or -autorelease).

corbin