I meant to ask what the tradeoffs are between declaring the UIWindow object
as an instance variable in the AppDelegate vs. as a local object in
-applicationDidFinishLaunching:

The specific example I'd mentioned was from Erica Sadun's book, and looking
at Apple's sample code, and the code that XCode generates, it seems that the
UIWindow object is typically declared as an instance variable in the
AppDelegate and seems the way to go (as opposed to Erica Sadun's example of
using a local UIWindow object).