Le 14 déc. 08 à 22:36, Filip van der Meeren a écrit :

I think I have found the answer to your question; when executing the following code, I get a few strange results...

NSAutoreleasePool * pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];

NSNumber *n0 = [NSNumber numberWithInt:1];
NSLog(@"n0: %d", [n0 retainCount]);
[n0 release];

NSLog(@"n0: %d", [n0 retainCount]);
[n0 release];

NSNumber *n1 = [NSNumber alloc];
NSLog(@"n1: %d", [n1 retainCount]);
n1 = [n1 initWithInt:1];
NSLog(@"n1: %d", [n1 retainCount]);
[n1 release];

[pool release];

The code above results in the following log:
2008-12-14 22:32:54.997 SmallTest[556:10b] n0: 2 <=============== Thats strange....
2008-12-14 22:32:55.003 SmallTest[556:10b] n0: 1

2008-12-14 22:32:55.004 SmallTest[556:10b] n1: -1 <=============== That is normal 2008-12-14 22:32:55.005 SmallTest[556:10b] n1: 2 <=============== Whooooow, overretained an object ;-)

My guess is that NSNumber is over-retaining itself within its initializer. Nothing for you to worry about. This is a typical worry-case for that nice Apple programmer... You should file a bug-report...

DO NOT MAKE ANY assumption over retainCount. NSNumber is not over retaining, it is caching small number for efficiency. This is not a bug
Respect the Memory management rules and all will be fine.