On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM, John Michael Zorko <jmzo...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hello, all ...
>
> Imagine this:
>
> static NSMutableDictionary *lookup = [NSMutableDictionary new];
>
> ... now imagine a situation where I need to clear that dictionary.  If I
> call
>
> [lookup release];
> lookup = [NSMutableDictionary new];
>
> ... it will obviously be faster than coding a for loop and removing each
> object in the dictionary,

1) What makes it obvious?

2) Why do you care?

> but since it was declared as static, which is
> safer?

The static declaration is irrelevant. That just modifies where and how
the pointer gets stored. Memory management of the object itself is the
same as anything else. If you just want to empty out the dictionary,
[lookup removeAllObjects] seems like the nicest way to me, but use
whatever technique you like best.

Mike