On 22 Dec 08, at 15:05, Neil wrote:
Is there a way to make a plug-in for iTunes that adds another "tab" to
the sidebar?  (ie. where the Music, Movies, Podcasts, and all the
playlists are...)

If so, does anyone have some pointers to some documentation on it?
I've spent the last 1.5 hours hunting around for something like that,
and haven't been able to find neither an app that does it nor any
docs...  (The closest I found were some apps that added
"visualizations" which weren't really visualizations...)

No. iTunes currently only uses plugins for additional visualizers; there is no provision for extending it in other ways.