I'm still relatively new to Cocoa (and programming in general) and very new to iPhone but this is more of a general question I've been struggling with.

What is the best / most accepted way to get a message out of an object?

Scenario 1:
I have a document application with an NSView that is basically a graph of a subset of the data in the document. I'd like to bo able to drag within the graph and have it change what data it's showing. How would I send a message from the view to the document either telling it to update the selection or to request new data? Delegate? Notification? Other?

Scenario 2:
iPhone app (extremely simple, one view) again with data and a graph of that data. when interacting with the UIView, how do I tell the parent view that something needs changing?

Basically, what's the best way for an ivar object to communicate with it's parent?

Ashley Perrien
Random Quote of the day:
"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything."
-Abraham Lincoln