If I understand Philip, I am having the same challenge, It isn't enough for me to let NSPersistentDocument do the load, I want a notification or some way of knowing after the load is completed so that I can fix up other related stuff. Is there someway to at a minimum:

1) In some overridden method of NSPersistentDocument subclass for my document as an example:

- (void)windowControllerDidLoadNib:(NSWindowController *)windowController

2) To test for when the nib loaded via the NSPersistentDocument's open event or was it instead via the new document event.

I am new to all of this please be gentle and Philip was here first, If I misread his question and mine is completely different?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Richard