On Dec 31, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

Wesley Smith (wesley.h...@gmail.com) on 2008-12-26 3:04 AM said:

Is there a way to know if a modifier key (shift, ctrl, option, cmd,
etc) is pressed?  Obviously, there's this:
NSUInteger modifierFlags = [theEvent modifierFlags];

but what if you need to know this information independent of an
NSEvent?  Anyway to get it?  So far I haven't seen anything
encouraging in the docs.

There's GetCurrentKeyModifiers(), which is superbly documented in
CarbonEventsCore.h. But sticking with NSEvent, if you can, if probably
better.

There's really nothing wrong with relying upon certain Carbon APIs. If or when Apple ever removes Carbon, I foresee APIs moving to new homes.

It's not like the current system has two shared libraries (Carbon/ Cocoa) and when Carbon goes, all APIs go with it. In many cases, Carbon APIs are just wrappers over lower-level code.

If there are key pieces of functionality that you can do in Carbon, but not Cocoa, definitely file enhancement requests to add those APIs to Cocoa.