Amazingly difficult, but I have it working almost 2 different ways. I
created my own ImageAndTextCell class and handle my own drawing based on
some code from Dave Blanton.
I've also tried the NSAttributedString since that sounded potentially
cleaner, more powerful and generally useful.

Argh.
So I go through some amazingly convoluted steps to create the string, partly
because of inconsistency of when you can or cannot append a string.

Now I appear to be having a problem with the baseline. By default, the icon
looks fine, but the text is a few pixels too low and the bottom of letters
gets cut off. If I try to raise it by messing with the
NSBaselineOffsetAttributeName, then the icon gets off center vertically. I
tried setting ranges on the attribute specific to the string without the
attachment but it didn't work. Changes are always propogated to the icon, or
at least I can't figure out how to isolate it.

Here's my code so far. This is in my datasource delegate where I return a
value for a cell.

NSTextAttachment *ta = [[NSTextAttachment alloc]init];

NSTextAttachmentCell *tac = [[NSTextAttachmentCell alloc]init];

NSImage *image = [[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace]iconForFile:[node pathName]];

[image setScalesWhenResized:TRUE];

NSSize mySize;

mySize.width=16;

mySize.height=16;

[image setSize:mySize];

[tac setImage:image];

[ta setAttachmentCell:tac];

NSAttributedString *as = [NSAttributedString attributedStringWithAttachment
:ta];

NSMutableAttributedString *mas = [[NSMutableAttributedString alloc]
initWithAttributedString:as];

 NSString *name = [@" " stringByAppendingString:[node name]];

 NSMutableAttributedString *attribName = [[NSMutableAttributedString alloc]
initWithString:name];

[mas appendAttributedString:attribName];

NSRange range;

range.location = 0;

range.length = [mas length];

 [mas addAttribute:NSBaselineOffsetAttributeName value:[NSNumber
numberWithFloat: -4.0] range:range];

result = mas;

Thanks