David,

Thanks for your insight.  Just have a couple of follow up questions:

- When I animate a set of PNG's rather than JPEG's (again using
UIImageView's animationImages property),  I am thinking I don't need to
think about compression (or Apple optimization)? Is it then appropriate to
think of the total memory to be consumed simply as an aggregate of the total
bytes for all the images?

- Am I correct in thinking that for loading a short-running animation, I
should generally use the initWithContentsOfFile method of UIImage instead of
imageNamed because imageNamed caches the data into memory?

- I had thought there was a way to use Instruments to assess if a
UIImageView animation was skipping frames.  Now, I'm not so sure.  Any
particular way to test if such an animation is skipping or not displaying
frames?

thanks again,

Glenn