This is something I've looked into multiple times. There is a package, that
I haven't had time to evaluate, and whose info I can't find right now, that
might be what you want. I'll try to find the info and forward it.

There's also the possibility of wrapping up some of the cross-platform
Java-based report writers, assuming your backend is a standard db server
that they can access. There's BIRT in particular, which is not only designed
for integration, but has actual books available--again, haven't had time to
look into it.

Also, to those using HTML/CSS, has WebKit ever added support for printing
table headers at the top of each page when a table spans multiple pages?
That lack was the one thing that prevented me from using WebKit for
reporting--but it has been a long time since I tried it.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@killerbytes.com