Hi,

I've looked in the docs but I can't find the answer to this; I've also searched
the archives but I may be using the wrong search terms.

Under Leopard, when you click on the Help menu, before appearing it seems to
search through all the menus of the app to see if any items match the term on
the find pasteboard - indeed, even if there is nothing on the pasteboard, it
seems to go through all the menu items in the app's menus regardless.

My app has two or three menus that get built dynamically from the contents of a
source list. For long projects, each of these menus could take a couple of
seconds to be constructed. This isn't a problem for the menus themselves, but
the cumulative effect on the Help menu search means that if you have a large
project open and click on the Help menu, it can take a long time to appear -
the spinning beachball appears and the app can seem unresponsive for ten
seconds or so. Not good.

The menus that get built dynamically in this way really don't need to be found
by the Help menu at all, though. They list the names of items in the source
list for such things as navigation, or appending some selected text to a
document in the source list by selecting in the menu.

So, my question is: is there a way of telling the Help menu to ignore certain
menus when it does this search each time it is clicked on?

Many thanks in advance and all the best,
Keith