On Jan 22, 2009, at 6:23 AM, Keith Blount wrote:

Many thanks for your reply. I'll file an enhancement request, but still looking for a solution to the problem, is there any way to be notified of when the Help menu is about to start doing this indexing? If there were, I could tell my dynamic menus not to rebuild themselves in that situation. I thought looking for - menuWillOpen: for the Help menu would work for this, but, somewhat uselessly, that delegate method only gets called *after* the Help menu has finished its indexing, immediately before it opens.

There are some Carbon event-based approaches to be notified, but I'm not sure they'll be that suitable for you in Leopard, due to other weaknesses in that approach. I don't think there's any Cocoa-based way to be notified.

-eric